Legal Assistant (Office Automation)
Department of Justice
Executive Office for U.S. Attorneys and the Office of the U.S. Attorneys
Open & closing dates
2017-07-31 to 2017-08-01
$32,844 to $52,893 / per year
Pay scale & grade
GS 5 – 7
0986 Legal Assistance
Job announcement number
1 vacancy in the following location:
If you are looking for an exciting and challenging career, this is the position for you! With a diverse and talented workforce of over 100,000 men and women, Justice leads the Nation in ensuring the protection of all Americans while preserving their constitutional freedoms. You will be part of a dedicated team helping to enforce Federal criminal and civil laws that protect life, liberty and the property of citizens.
The United States Attorney’s Office (USAO)/Executive Office for United States Attorneys (EOUSA) is a great place to work. The Department of Justice ranked #6 out of 18 large agencies and EOUSA/United States Attorneys’ Offices ranked #59 out of 305 agency subcomponents in a study, “The Best Places to Work in the Federal Government, 2016 Ratings” published by the Partnership for Public Service. See http://bestplacestowork.org/BPTW/index.php
The main office is located in Columbia, SC, with branches also located in Florence, Greenville, and Charleston. Each of these cities, along with the entire State of South Carolina, offers a wonderful climate and a wide variety of cultural, educational, recreational, and social activities. For more information about Columbia click the following weblink: http://www.columbiacvb.com/.
For more information on the Department of Justice and the United States Attorneys’ Offices, visit www.justice.gov/usao/.
As needed, additional positions may be filled using this announcement.
This position is also being announced under Merit Promotion Procedures under 17-SC-10030868-MP.
This announcement will be closed on the day the 50th application is received or on the closing date, whichever comes first.
If selected for this position, you will support Assistant United States Attorneys (AUSA) in the Criminal Division by providing a variety of legal support services. You will receive formal and on-the-job training as needed. Typical work assignments will include:
- examining, preparing and processing a variety of legal documents, such as complaints, indictments, motions, responses, and orders;
- producing a variety of written documents and materials using a wide range of office software applications;
- maintaining the case file so that it is current and documents are easily accessed;
- providing assistance to attorneys in trial preparation, including issuing subpoenas, assembling exhibits, and assisting with discovery management;
- calendaring court hearings for individual AUSAs and the criminal division master calendar;
- scheduling conferences and interviews, receiving telephone calls and visitors;
- reading, screening and appropriately addressing incoming mail;
- arranging travel by preparing itinerary and securing transportation and hotel reservations; and
- assembling and organizing files and material for disposition or transfer to records depository.
Responsibilities will increase and assignments will become more complex as your training and experience progress.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for this position.